Retargeting your Shopify online store
For Shopify marketers or owners, everything translates to dollars spent and dollars earned, especially when reporting to customers. That’s why ads are important. For e-commerce or Shopify in particular, marketing campaigns mean direct cash.
But what would you do with all those visitors who clicked on your ads or visited your Shopify store and left? These are visitors who did think twice or hesitated, thought better of your offer or decided that it might not be the best time to buy your products.
If every dollar spent on marketing is accountable, then every visitor who leaves without buying can be considered a loss. How do you get them back to your online store?
Thanks to retargeting (it is also known as remarketing), you can now show ads to your visitors who reached your website previously as they go about browsing the Web.
The ability to re-engage with this audience, which previously was simply lost, is a gift for Shopify owners.
Retargeting is good for many reasons. For example:
- It can reduce cost per impression
- It is used for better conversion rates
- For improved ROI
- For a more precise targeting
- For cost effective branding
It’s no wonder retargeting has been taking the online marketing world by storm.
But is it hard to understand and set it up?
Truth be told, setting up a killer retargeting campaign is surprisingly easy. As long as you know the basics, there are great remarketing platforms out there ready to help you regain or reach your ROI targets. These platforms take care of all of the technicalities, like leaving a cookie to earmark visitors, monitoring customers’ behavior, making guesses about user intent, or working with a “display network” or “Real Time Bidding exchange.”
What are we waiting for? Let’s dive in and take a look at some of the retargeting tools to get you started.
If you use Shopify as your e-commerce platform, it’d be hard to miss a tool like AdRoll. It has been providing various advertising options to businesses for years, but they are also known for their retargeting plans.
AdRoll works with advertising partners like Facebook Exchange, Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft, to help their clients reach 98% of sites on the Internet.
- AdRoll retargeting customers earn $10 for every $1 spent on average.
- Adroll offers advance targeting techniques, like customer segmentation, geo-targeting, and much more.
Check out the image below to see a quick snapshot of this in action:
Customer Segmentation – AdRoll
- AdRoll makes retargeting easy with features like easy-to-read analytics. And for Shopify stores with over 60k uniques per month, they also offer their Liquid Ads service – it enables advertisers to personalize each impression based on the product pages that an individual user visits.
The image above shows the dynamic elements of an AdRoll LiquidAd. Each element can be customized depending on user’s targeting preference.
- It is an official Facebook partner that provides one of the best and easy-to-use platforms for customer retargeting on Facebook, especially via news feed ads.
An example of a Facebook Newsfeed ad powered by AdRoll.
Setting up a Facebook news feed campaign is easy as well. All you need to do is set your weekly budget, schedule, targeted locations, and max CPM bid. Then, you can select your visitor segments. Your ads will begin appearing in their news feed. Your ads will start showing to anyone who has been “cookied” on your Shopify store, regardless of whether they liked or interacted with your Facebook fan page. The ads will also start showing in the person’s news feed because they visited your online store in the past and you have targeted them in your ad campaign. Cool eh?
- AdRoll features a good transparent pricing and solid customer support
Adroll is easily the frontrunner when it comes to retargeting platforms. While it is a bit pricey, the service and ease of their platform make it worth your marketing dollars.
What ShopiHunt Likes: Popular platform, with thousands of brands like SalesForce and Hipmunk already using it. It boasts of lowest CPM and provides transparency and ROI.
Cost: Pay-as-you-go CPM pricing.
With proprietary technology and a proven platform, Chango gives you the best tools to tap into search retargeting. Search retargeting doesn’t require a potential customer to visit your online store before your ads start appearing on their computers or mobiles. Instead, customer interest and relevancy are decided by a recent search they performed on popular search engines such as Google, Yahoo, or Bing.
Meaning, if a user performs a search for a product/service on a search engine and lands on your Shopify store which is part of Chango’s data network, Chango will then earmark the user and let you advertise to that user with a customized ad promoting relevant products and services. Cool eh?
- Chango has a lot of network of data partners. Partners will get access to more than 8 billion search eventsand search data from popular search networks such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
- You will also get a dedicated account manager, so you won’t have to waste countless hours trying to set up, optimize, or manage your retargeting campaigns.
- You can target your customers from some of the best markets like US, UK, and Canada.
- Chango has certain metrics that will allow you to assess each visitor according to what they did, during, and after visiting your Shopify store.
- If you do have a product feed, Chango offers dynamic creative for your Shopify store, allowing you to create ads with recently viewed products the customer browsed at your online shop.
What ShopiHunt Likes: Chango is personable and efficient. It comes with a lot of street cred with a 90% retention rate.
Cost: Transparent pricing based on CPM.
Perfect Audience focuses mainly on Facebook retargeting by helping their client’s track clicks and conversions on a self-service dashboard with the ability to manage multiple users. With the help of this tool, you can discover new marketing channels and retarget across the web. It’s easy to use and setup where all you need to do is insert a script/code in the body section of your Shopify store, create lists of visitors’ types to retarget, design campaigns to target certain segments in your retargeting lists, and your ads will start appearing on visitors’ computers or mobile devices, so it’s as simple as 1,2,3.
- You get to remarket your products or services to lost customers on Facebook, a platform with a user base of more than 950 million people. When a visitor leaves your website or a certain page without ordering, you will be able to retarget that visitor on Facebook. Similar to AdRoll, Perfect Audience offers both standard Facebook ads and the ability to retarget in the Facebook news feed. Check out this ad they actually ran themselves when they started their beta testing:
A Perfect Audience Facebook Newsfeed ad
- It offers practical solutions to retarget visitors who are leaving without buying anything.
- No setup or maintenance fee, which makes it an ideal choice for small business owners with tight budgets.
- As we mentioned earlier, Perfect Audience focuses on keeping it as simple as possible. They even provide their users a 5-minute quick start guide with instructions for setting up retargeting options and starting to use their platform in a matter of minutes.
- It also has a huge knowledgebase with manuals, guidelines, video tutorials, dynamic ads, and much more.
What ShopiHunt Likes: There’s a free trial available, more than 100,000+ sites on ad network, geo-targeting, track email performance reports, and much more.
Cost: Charged on CPM basis.
ReTargeter is comparatively new, but it is a full-service tool solely for retargeting. It offers a wide range of marketing and remarketing solutions designed from scratch to help you serve the right ads at the right time to your customers and optimize your marketing spend. It also comes with a full roster of products to capture the complete arsenal of marketing channels available for marketing. Retargeter works with popular companies such as Zendesk and Brahmin.
- The service is aimed at websites/Shopify stores with over 30,000 unique visitors per month.
- Allows you to create target ads according to your shop’s demographic, geographic, income, or intentof your customers.
- Since Retargeter is not focusing more on a certain type of retargeting, you can choose from wide a variety of options. For example, retargeting visitors who have browsed your online store, subscribers who have opened your shop’s newsletter, or people who’ve engaged with you on social media channels.
- You can use frequency capping
- Their services start at $1500 per month and all the marketing/ad campaigns are managed by a dedicated account manager.
What ShopiHunt Likes: Retargeting is specifically made for retargeting. It comes with a comprehensive set of advertising solutions like CRM retargeting, search retargeting, short tags and email retargeting.
Cost: $1500 for 30,000 unique visitors targeted and up to 525,000 impressions
Google Adwords Retargeting
Google is dubbed as the big daddy of online advertising, and this search giant has now added retargeting features too. If you’ve used Google Adwords for regular campaigns, it’s just a matter of enabling retargeting to simply get you started. Google comes with plenty of information published on retargeting that you could learn from.
To set it up, all you need to do is add the remarketing tag to your Shopify store, build your ads, set up your campaign, and you are set to go.
In your AdWords account, simply head to the shared library (from campaigns tab) to create a list of people visiting a certain section or page of your Shopify store. Check out this image below to see exactly where to go:
Once you are in the shared library section, click on “view” under Audiences as per below:
- Google offers an easy to customize targeting options. You can target people depending on their actions, time of visit, and the specific Shopify pages they landed on.
- Google has recently introduced remarketing lists for search ads(RLSA). This allows advertisers to create campaigns aimed at people who have searched for a particular keyword, regardless of whether they have visited your Shopify store or not.
- Google retargeting takes place on the Google Display Network. This means you can reach close to 10% of the internet through their platform.
What ShopiHunt Likes: Backed by Google. Runs off traditional Google Adwords platform.
Cost: Determine your budget and pay-as-you go.
Retargeting fills the void that Shopify owners need to get potential customers back. There is an amazing number of remarketing options available online, and, depending on your needs, one of the above-mentioned platforms should help you out. So, set up a retargeting campaign, start building your list, but, most of all, GOOD LUCK and happy Shopify-ing!