How To Get A Custom Domain For Your Shopify Online Store
By default, or if you have not added a custom domain to your Shopify store, your domain name would be: http://shopifyadmin.myshopify.com
You can add a domain name if you already own one by going to Domains > Settings > Add a Domain > Then choose the option: I want to add a domain name I already own
If you don’t have a domain yet, you can easily buy and set up a custom domain from Shopify. Everything will be configured for you and your custom domain will be setup and completed automatically.
About Shopify Domains
All domains purchased through Shopify are registered for a year, and can be renewed until you cancel your domain subscription or your online Shopify store.
Shopify does not provide email accounts but does provide unlimited email forwarding accounts for your chosen domain name.
Shopify domains are being sold by OpenSRS, but you own the domain name and it remains under your name until it expires. OpenSRS is a branch of the parent company Tucows Inc. When you purchase a domain via Shopify admin panel, you are actually registering your domain with OpenSRS.
Your domain purchased via Shopify must be hosted with OpenSRS for the first two months and cannot be transferred in this timeframe.
Just in case you want to keep your domain after canceling your Shopify store, you can do so using Hover.com.
Buy a custom domain through Shopify
When you purchase a domain through Shopify, it is automatically configured to work with your root domain (your-store-name.myshopify.com), and two subdomains:
To buy a custom domain via Shopify admin panel
From your Shopify admin, click “Online Store”, then click “Domains” (or simply press G W D):
Tip: If your Shopify admin looks different, try to find the OnlineStore section under the Sales channels menu instead.
- Click Buy a domain in the header.
- In the “domain” dialog box, type in the domain name that you’d like to purchase.
- There’s a drop-down menu where you can pick an extension (for example .com, .ca). Each extension’s price will be listed in the drop-down menu as well.
- To check if your custom domain is available, click Check availability. If it is not available, you will need to choose another domain name.
- You need to read the ICANN policy and Domain Registration Agreement. Upon doing so, check the box next to I have read and agree to the ICANN policy and Domain Registration Agreement to continue:
Note: By default, your Shopify account’s email and the information are used for the purchase.
- Finally, click Confirm purchase to complete the process.
After you’ve bought your domain through Shopify admin panel, you must verify your ownership of the domain by confirming it.