Creating A Facebook Feed And Catalogue In Your Shopify Store
Dynamic Product Ads are perfect for retargeting: You can dynamically serve ads on Facebook based on the specific product someone viewed in your store. Let’s set up some dynamic product ads right now!
With our first campaign, we’ll retarget shopping cart abandoners. That is, users who visited one of your product pages or placed an item in their shopping cart but didn’t purchase will be served an ad that features that specific product.
Step by Step Process
- Setup your Facebook ads account
Start by setting up a business manager account. To do this, simply go to http://business.facebook.com and follow the instructions. To create a custom audience, read this guide, it should help get you started.
- Add Facebook’s Custom Audience pixel to your Shopify Theme
- Create an always up-to-date product feed of your store’s inventory
- Create a product catalog and upload the product feed
- Test the pixel
- Create a dynamic product ad campaign
Add Facebook’s Custom Audience pixel to your Shopify Theme
Shopify now has a built-in setting to add the Facebook Pixel to your store.
To set up Facebook Pixel for your Shopify store:
- Go to Shopify admin, click Settings, then click Online Store (shortcut G S W):
- Now, click Settings, then click Online Store
Note: If your Shopify admin looks different, then you will find your Online Store settings under the Sales channels menu instead.
- Locate the Facebook Pixel section, and then enter your Facebook Pixel ID:
- Finally, Click Save.
Create a product catalog and upload the product feed
Log in to your facebook business manager account and create a product catalog. See Facebook’s help page on how to create a product catalog in Business Manager for more details and instructions.
Test the Pixel
Facebook also provides a troubleshooting tool, called the FB Pixel Helper. This helps you validate your Custom Audience Pixels. It is available as a Chrome extension also (download here).
- Visit your homepage and use the FB Pixel Helper to verify that the Custom Audience Pixel is loaded successfully.
- Visit any product page to verify that a “ViewContent” event is being tracked with content_type: product and content_ids: [“shopify_PID_VID”] (with PID being the id of the currently viewed product and VID that of the currently viewed variant).
- Add any product to the shopping cart and verify that the AddToCartevent is being triggered.
- Make sure a test purchase and on the thank-you page verify that a “Purchase” event is being tracked also with the correct values.
Create a dynamic product ad campaign
OK, you’re almost done. You can now create the ads. You just need to make sure you have supplied a valid payment method and open the Power Editor.
Below is a rough and incomplete description – just to give you heads up. There are too many options to go into detail.
- Create a new Campaign
- Set the objective to “Product Catalog Sales”
- Create a new ad set
- Edit it and choose the default product set or create a new ad set
- Set your daily budget (e.g. 20$)
- Choose “Added to cart” as your audience “Include Behavior”
- Choose “Purchased product” as your audience “Exclude Behavior”
- Create a new ad set
- Choose your Facebook page
- Create an ad with the ad builder.
- Under Tracking, choose “Track all conversions from my Custom Audience pixel”
Congratulations, you made it! Upload the changes and watch your ads appear on your Facebook Page!
I hope you found this guide helpful. If you have any concerns or feedback, we would love to hear from you in the comments section below.